There are 4 main criteria for maintaining a healthy “GET BIG” diet.
- Sufficient amount of high-quality protein: I am sure you know this is the most important factor in building muscle. Muscle growth also leads to overall higher metabolism, which in turn burns fat!! The best way to get high-quality protein is through meat, fish, poultry, and milk products. I’d recommend a pretty high-protein diet. Between 1.5-2.0 grams/lb. of body weight per day. Protein shakes are a good help for this high amount but don’t rely on them! (e.g. if you weigh 200lbs. then consume between 250g-400g of protein)
- Sufficient amount of complex carbohydrates: For energy and metabolism. Good ones are oats, rice, whole wheat bread, noodles, etc… eat between 2-2.5 grams/lb. of body weight per day of these.
- Be sure you are eating enough calories: A calorie intake in the range of 5000 calories is needed if you are interested in getting BIG. Ever heard the saying “Eat big… Get big” Of course eating big isn’t the only thing that will get you big. You have to eat high-quality food and spend time in the gym. You can’t get something for anything.
- Eat according to the clock: This is probably the most important because of the amount of discipline it takes. You should eat 6-7 meals a day. They should be medium-sized meals and obviously, contain high-quality food (not McDonald’s hehe). Eat according to your workout as well. Always work out on an empty stomach and eat within 30 minutes after your workout. This is when the body needs the energy (food) the most and when it will be best utilized.
It’s obvious that if you want to gain weight and get big, you need to eat.
Keyword: EAT!!! – You have to… or the other guy will always be bigger.
- Protein shakes- meal replacements.
- Ribose- for energy and recuperation.